A conservative group called the Pacific Justice Institute petitioned the 3rd District Court of Appeal on Monday, seeking to force California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and Attorney General Jerry Brown to defend Prop 8 in court, something both have said they will not do.
According to a press release from the group filing the petition:
The new lawsuit is being filed by Pacific Justice Institute on behalf of Dr. Joshua Beckley, a minister in the Los Angeles area. The lawsuit is called an extraordinary writ of mandate and was filed with the Third District Court of Appeal in Sacramento. The writ asks the court to enforce Government Code Section 12512, which states that the Attorney General “shall defend” the state and its public officials against all legal challenges. At a minimum, the suit argues, this law requires Attorney General Brown to file a one-page Notice of Appeal of Judge Walker’s decision. Otherwise, the Attorney General can effectively veto ballot initiatives by simply refusing to defend them in court.
The lawsuit includes a sworn Declaration from former U.S. Attorney General and legal advisor to Governor Reagan, Edwin Meese III. Meese affirms that neither he nor Governor Reagan refused to defend duly-enacted laws based on personal disagreement with the laws. Former California Attorney General Dan Lungren has also publicly stated his belief that it is the attorney general’s duty to defend all state laws, regardless of his personal feelings or beliefs.
- silvershrike reblogged this from stfuhomophobes
- civillyunioned reblogged this from projectqueer
- pxltypops reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- eddyizm reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- shirozora reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- ladypandacat reblogged this from the-abcs-of-life
- kalamazu likes this
- the-abcs-of-life reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- fairwind reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- nickelback-enthusiast69 likes this
- pitchforkreviewsreviews likes this
- dayman-ahhh reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- dayman-ahhh likes this
- stfuconservatives reblogged this from stfuhomophobes
- stfuhomophobes reblogged this from projectqueer
- thegayaggregate reblogged this from projectqueer
- onlylivinglesbianinoc reblogged this from projectqueer and added:
- projectqueer posted this